A Project of Samaritan’s Purse
Operation Christmas Child Shoebox Packing Party After Church
WHAT IS THE MISSION OF OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD?
The mission of Operation Christmas Child is to demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way to needy children around the world, and together with the local church worldwide, to share the Good News of Jesus Christ.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Each year, individuals, churches, and community groups worldwide fill shoeboxes (or small plastic containers) with gifts for children in war-torn or poverty-stricken countries. The boxes are transported to Samaritan’s Purse locations where a book about Jesus (in the child’s native language) is added, before being shipped to the child’s country. Local churches then distribute the boxes to area children in need.
BEYOND THE BOX: The Operation Christmas Child Discipleship Program
The Operation Christmas Child ministry extends far beyond a gift-filled shoe box. A primary goal of the project is to offer children the opportunity to participate in the Operation Christmas Child Discipleship Program, and to give every graduate a New Testament in their local language. In 2009-2010, an estimated 1.9 million children had the opportunity to participate in the program, with an estimated 1.2 million of these boys and girls completing the series of Bible lessons. These discipleship materials are used by local churches as effective resources to show children how to come into relationship with God, to explore His Word, and to encourage children to grow in their faith.
Samaritan’s Purse is a nondenominational evangelical Christian organization providing spiritual and physical aid to hurting people around the world. Since 1970, Samaritan’s Purse has helped meet needs of people who are victims of war, poverty, natural disasters, disease, and famine with the purpose of sharing God’s love through His Son, Jesus Christ.
The organization serves the Church worldwide to promote the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.
How You Can Help:
- Donate wrapped or unwrapped empty shoeboxes (approx 10cm x 20cm x 30cm) and wrapping paper by October 20th to the donation box in the foyer.
- Shop for a specific age/gender and bring gifts for the shoeboxes (toys, school supplies, hygiene products)– place in donation box on any Sunday or bring on the packing day!
- Help assemble shoeboxes on October 27th after the service!
- Donate money to cover shipping costs to Stefani Smit (which is 6 € per box) on or before October 27th.
- Pack your own shoebox (remember to wrap the lid separately)!
- Click here to find out how! Deadline is October 27th.
P.S. They say that the kids enjoy having a picture and note from the sender. We will write notes with the kids in Sunday school that day. You are welcome to bring a photo.
For more information: pick up a flyer from ANCL or go to: www.samaritanspurse.org